Tom Casano is the founder of Sure Oak, one of the fastest-growing SEO agencies in NYC. They’ve grown clients’ organic traffic by up to 500%.
Google conducts 3.5B searches every day — SEO is still one of the strongest long-term growth strategies. Anyone can start here and become an SEO expert.
HOW TO: Bring cutting-edge SEO tactics to your website to spur more conversions
1. Keyword research: find 2-10K keywords related to your company and divide them into topic “clusters”
Clusters are groups of similar content surrounding the pillars of your business, connected by internal links. Group hundreds of keywords in different clusters to establish authority on each topic.
Find keywords related to your main cluster content →
And research how competitors are ranking for similar keywords →
2. On-page optimizations: rewrite URL slugs, header tags, and title tags; internally link related articles and check keyword density
Tags carry a lot of weight with Google; ensure they match the content of the page so searchers aren’t misled. Internal linking also helps guide web crawlers, strengthening authority on groups of related keywords.
Check your keyword/phrase frequency to ensure you’re continuously mentioning keywords →
3. Content: create long-form content on evergreen topics — at least one per cluster
Long-form consistently ranks higher than short. Hack: If you have several short articles on the same topic, combine them into one long-form version. Compile the articles on the highest ranking URL and open with a short summary for visitors looking for quick answers.
Find the highest ranking URL to reorganize the article on →
4. Link building: secure links by creating exciting content and fostering relationships with thought leaders
Links are the most heavily-weighted ranking criteria. Create content that others in your industry care about to land on podcasts or feature in their articles.
Once you have the content, search for link opportunities here →
5. Satisfy user intent: provide answers to questions with specific keywords so you don’t lose ranking
Google’s goal is to help users answer questions. If they bounce quickly back to the search results page Google knows you didn’t provide the answer, and your future ranking will reflect that.
Learn where you’re losing visitors with click heatmaps and screen recordings →
6. User experience: small sites should focus on content, larger sites need to start incorporating technical SEO
Larger sites could be losing visitors due to sloppy reroutes and non-existent pages that still rank — time to clean it up.
Conduct a full site audit and find broken links →